12 Sambazon Sustainability Practices - 04.04.2014
For more than a decade now, we have been on a mission to positively change the world through positive nutrition, sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship and social justice. In honor of Earth Day on April 22, we rounded up 12 Sambazon sustainable practices. Here’re our humble contributions:
First acai (ah-sigh-ee), the king of the superfruit jungle that started it all.
1) Sambazon worked with Ecocert to create the first Fair Trade guidelines for Acai. There are now rigorous certification standards plus a percentage of acai purchases are now used for local Brazil improvement projects such as building 2 schools (in Breves and Mazagao) and donating equipment to day care centers, women’s shelters and homes for underprivileged children in Amapa.
Acai is about 90% seed and only 10% fruit so, when the fruit is removed, the seeds were once considered waste. Now:
2) Sambazon reengineered the boilers in our factory in Brazil to burn acai seeds for fuel instead of burning virgin wood; This helps contribute to preserving about 2 million acres of the Amazon Rainforest!
3) We also helped two local brick factories convert their furnaces to burn acai seeds instead of wood and we donate seeds to help fuel their businesses.
4) We’ve donated seeds, drilling, polishing and staining equipment to local women’s charities that make and sell acai seed necklaces and bracelets creating income and independence for local families.
Outside of the acai berry, but still in the Amazon Rainforest:
5) Sambazon thoroughly filters water from the Amazon River to use for washing acai. The water is then recaptured and returned to the Amazon River cleaner than it started. Bonus: We even use the sediment removed from the water as fertilizer to grow different types of seedlings. We then donate the seedlings to local acai harvesters to promote biodiversity.
6) When it’s not harvest season, we host education seminars for local acai farmers learn agro-forestry management techniques like organic and sustainable harvesting and maintaining and promoting biodiversity.
In the United States,
7) Approximately 25% of our cross-country transport of Sambazon Freshies and Frozen treats is done by train, as opposed to individual trucks, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
8) The boxes we use to hold our 10.5oz Freshies are made of 86% post-consumer recycled content and we use only environmentally safe soy based inks to print on them.
10) Sambazon 33.8 oz Freshies are packaged in Tetra Pack that is made from 70% renewable resources, are 100% recyclable, and, because they use 22% less packaging than our previous bottles, we are able to ship nearly 25% more product at a time resulting in lower greenhouse gas outputs.
11) The producer that freeze dries Sambazon’s Organic Freeze Dried Acai Powder uses an onsite solar field that provides approximately 65% of it’s energy in peak hours + they use a heat recovery system reducing their natural gas demand by 15%.
12) The adhesive label for our Organic Freeze Dried Acai Powder is made of FSC certified paper with 30% recycled content, agri based inks + water based adhesives.
Much purple love to you for being a part of the passion, purpose and creativity of Sambazon.
The SAMBAZON Tribe