Preserving Summer - 06.27.2013
This summer we are stoked on all the seasonal produce from our farmer’s markets and from our own backyards!
There is so much good stuff in our fridge and on our countertops that we have more than we can eat. We decided to tackle a fun summer project of learning some new skills to make use of all Mother Nature has been sending our way.
Over the next few weeks we’re going to be preserving, posicling, smoothie packing, drying, freezing and sharing our bounty. We’ve uncovered a few how tos that we’ll be following and have listed them below in case you want to try your hand at some of these.
Check out some awesome blogs with fun how tos:
- Canning Across America is a great resource for canning and preserving.
- These Red, White and Blue Popsicles are perfect for Independence Day this Fourth of July.
- If you’re pre-packing smoothies, All Things G & D shares how to prepare a month’s worth of green smoothies in one day! Talk about easy, healthy smoothie recipes.
- If you want to dry out some fruit, try kiwi, pineapple and bananas to start. Super Healthy Kids has a simple recipe for all three!
- If you’re taking to freezing your produce, we’re into making frozen smoothie boosters from our summer vegetables that you can pop into the blender for bonus nutrition goodness. Lexie’s Kitchen has a recipe for Kale Cubes that sounds divine.
- Sharing, well, we’re old friends with sharing. For sharing, all you need is love.
We want to know, what are you doing with your summer harvests?