Sambazon Purifying Cleanse – A Diary of Our 3-Day Experience - 01.09.2014
Happy 2014, Tribe! This year is definitely going to be an amazing one. For starters, we’re buds, so that’s cool. And second, a new year is the perfect time to strive for more happiness, remind ourselves of the positivity around us, aaand do the 3-day Sambazon Purifying Cleanse.
Our office Tribe chipped in and hired a local chef to prepare the meals and snacks from the Sambazon cleanse meal plan created in partnership with Ashley Koff, RD. All meals and snacks were sourced with organic produce from a local farm and delivered daily to our office. It was pretty sweet having everything prepped for us and if you can convince your boss to make this happen at your work or at least get your friends to get in on the food prep, I highly recommend it. I finished the 3 days feeling like I can incorporate some of these healthy eating and drinking habits into my day-to-day to have a more healthful and energized life.
On to the Sambazon cleanse play-by-play. As recommended in the meal plan, we all tried to prep for 2-3 days before by nixing alcohol, animal products, artificial ingredients and (hardest for most people) caffeine.
Fast forward to Monday, the day of the Sambazon cleanse that prepares the body for renewal by providing a balance of nutrients so your body can maintain a healthy metabolism. The alarm goes off and I drink 2 cups of water with my normal daily vitamin, head into work and pour myself 11 ounces of the first organic juice, Daily Cleanse: Acerola Cherry + Lemon + Cayenne and bring my raw nuts back to my desk to nibble on as slow as I could manage to stretch out the feeling of eating. I, personally, love spice so this first beverage is perfect. You can actually taste the cayenne. That being said, a co-worker of mine does not love spice so opted to blend her 11 ounces with ice so it was a little diluted, but still icy cold and satisfying.
Cue lots of water… you never pay attention to how little water you drink until you are asked to drink half your body weight in ounces each day (i.e.: if you weigh 150, you drink 75 ounces of water or just shy of 10, 8 ounce glasses).
Just about the time my stomach started getting chatty, it was time for the mid-morning snack: Quinoa Bowl with berries + coconut oil. I wasn’t super hungry at this point so I only ate about half of the quinoa from my bowl. I should mention that I am a normal-weight lady who eats pretty healthy normally because many of the dudes around me did not agree that there was more than enough food. If you are ever feeling deprived, you should totally increase your portion sizes as needed because these are all healthy, good-for-you foods.
Before I knew it, lunch arrived and we got 11 ounces of Purifying Greens with Kale + Apple + Cucumber + Parsley along with a super yummy Beet and Orange Salad with caraway. The salad was, according to my male co-worker, “cute” – it was about the size of a small dinner salad – but it was very satisfying. The Purifying Greens is not the prettiest of the three drinks, but it is really well-balanced with the sweetness of the apple and crispness of the cucumber taking center stage.
A few more hours rolled by and my boss’s favorite time of the day arrived: the mid-day snack with 11 ounces of Protein Recharge with Brazil Nuts + Cashews + Cocoa with some fresh, raw veggies. I mean, he basically walked into the office and gave a toast to how wonderfully decadent and delicious this drink is. And we all cheers’d back. A group cheers is not required, but highly recommended to optimize your cleanse radness.
Work ends, heated power flow yoga ensues, and dinner is ready when I get home – thanks personal chef. I opted for the Liquid Courage route, which meant switching out the solid dinner recommended by Ashley Koff for a soup. This evening, I had the Cauliflower-Zucchini Soup (yum) while others had the Open-Faced Veggie Burger (double yum). I ate around 7 p.m. and was pretty hungry by 8:30p.m. I capped off the evening with some herbal tea to tide me over (kind of) until bed. All in all an easy first day: metabolism balanced!
Tuesday was a similar routine, except I woke up hungry. Day 2 of the Sambazon cleanse focuses on eliminating toxins from the body and getting the digestive system working with lots of fiber, potassium and greens. Here’s the happs:
- 11 ounces of Daily Cleanse: Acerola Cherry + Lemon + Cayenne – I could have used some food at this point after my light dinner last night, but tried to stick with the plan.
- Organic Fruit Bowl with nuts – I started eating this early and ate it slow to make it last.
- 11 ounces of Purifying Greens with Kale + Apple + Cucumber + Parsley with Massaged Kale Salad – The kale massaging works miracles because this salad was delicious and surprisingly filling. We all debated what it was that filled us up but never reached a consensus… the Braggs, the seeds, the smaller stomachs?
- 11 ounces of Protein Recharge with Brazil Nuts + Cashews + Cocoa with fresh, raw veggies – I wasn’t even ready for this snack, but brought it to my desk and ate it over the next couple hours and even took some of the veggies home in case I had another hunger repeat from the night before. People in general are not their most awesome when they’re hungry and one of my co-workers put it perfectly, “harmony at home is more important than a cleanse.” True that.
- Chilled Cucumber, White Bean, and Avocado soup or Saag-Sational Curry – Now this soup was good, don’t get me wrong, but boy am I glad I had my extra veggies from earlier. I think chewing something made me feel more full out of habit. Others reported that the curry was delicious(!) but may have enjoyed a little extra. It’s interesting that people (myself included) typically do the opposite of what we should be doing with size of meals: People eat small (or no) breakfast and gigantic dinners… we should swap that caloric intake for sure and this Sambazon cleanse really punctuates that.
- Herbal tea nightcap – I chose a savory tea that actually felt decadent. I was amazed how quickly my tastebuds responded to eating a fruit and veggie heavy diet and began enjoying simple flavors.
- Day in review – The morning was tough for everyone at the office (the toughest in hindsight) and next time around I will probably either sneak a few nuts in the morning or split my Organic Fruit Bowl in two portions to space out the yummy calories. The water drinking was a lot easier today and I definitely exceeded my recommended amount. Dinner again felt small, but I am willing to bet that’s because I usually eat too big a portion and the meal provided is a more accurate portrayal of what my body needs. Plus, I feel lighter… like I’ve got a pep to my step.
Day 3 of the Sambazon cleanse is in place to restore the body and recharge natural energy levels. Wednesday morning I was again ready for food. I chugged about 16 ounces of water right when I woke up hoping that would tide me over until to got to work at which point I immediately starting sipping the Daily Cleanse:
- 11 ounces of Daily Cleanse: Acerola Cherry + Lemon + Cayenne with Apple + Almond Butter – Our awesome chef made spiced almond butter from scratch and everyone was pretty darn excited about it. The little things (like cinnamon) really elevate a simple snack to another level.
- Sambazon Overnight Oats – After “starving” in the morning and eating the breakfast, I surprisingly wasn’t in a hurry to get my snack. And Chocolate + Almond + Coconut Milk Overnight Oats are the best. I eat them at least weekly in real life so I was excited to have them during the Sambazon cleanse. It took me an hour and a half to eat them because I wasn’t all that hungry.
- 11 ounces of Purifying Greens with Kale + Apple + Cucumber + Parsley with Steamed Vegetable Plate with Tofu - Noon rolled around, then 1p.m. I still wasn’t hungry after all that almondy, oaty protein, but needed to get my lunch on so the rest of the day could go according to plan. The meal was delicious and then I may or may not have wanted a nap.
- 11 ounces of Protein Recharge with Brazil Nuts + Cashews + Cocoa with fresh, raw veggies - Drank the drink, saved the veggies – I couldn’t hang.
- Lentils with Mushrooms and Butternut Squash or Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup – The soup was deliciously savory and rich and the chunks of apple and butternut squash were little tasty treasures. I also got reports that the non-Liquid Courage meal was very filling and delicious as well and even the men felt like it was enough food to fill them up (emotional hunger aside).
- Herbal tea nightcap – I chose a sweeter tea for my last night, Chamomile Honey, as a kind of dessert. It was the perfect end to the Sambazon cleanse and the nightly tea is definitely a ritual I will continue.
- Day in review – This protein-rich day was super filling, satisfying and motivating. I feel excited to continue incorporating the organic juices + smaller meals into my every day regime.
Ending on a day like this made me feel like I can definitely incorporate some of these eating and drinking habits into my day-to-day to have a more healthful and energized life. Organic juice + awesome small meals makes for a happy Sambazon Tribe and, bonus, I lost a few holiday pounds. I hope you love the Sambazon cleanse as much as we all did! Tell us in the comments or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram