Sustainable Management of the Brazilian Amazon
We are Sambazon, a triple bottom line company dedicated to bringing next level nutrition to the world while supporting the environmental and social well-being of the Brazilian Amazon and its people. The Brazilian Amazon is a special place harboring nearly one-third of the planet’s biodiversity. We were so inspired by this part of the world that we named our company after it – Sambazon – Sustainable Management of the Brazilian AmAZON. To this day we harvest and ethically source Amazon Superfoods™ in order to make our products in a manner that positively impact the people who use them, those who make them, and the planet.
It all began with Açaí, king of the Amazon Superfoods™. When we first began sharing this amazing fruit with the world we quickly discovered the large majority of the world’s Açaí came through a supply chain that lacked any transparency or industry oversight. There were huge open markets where countless middlemen and factory operators with no vision into social or environmental conditions led to the potential exploitation of the family farmers harvesting the fruit. Additionally, environmental destruction of the Amazon Rainforest was occurring at such a rate that annually an area of land equivalent to the state of Rhode Island was disappearing.
That’s when we realized a market driven conservation model could positively impact the Amazon region and its people.
Making Positive Change
For more than a decade now, we have been on a mission to positively change the world through sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship and social justice. We are proud that our market-driven conservation business model has created positive change in the Amazon Rainforest and beyond. We have:
- Worked diligently to pioneer Organic and Fair Trade certifications
- Become certified by EcoCert, a 3rd party certifying and inspection agency
- Created employment opportunities and increased the socio-economic status of more than 10,000 family farmers
- Certified and are helping to sustainably manage more than two million acres of the Amazon Rainforest
- Converted our facilities’ wood burning boilers to burn Açaí seeds and partnered with a local brick factory to use Açai seeds as a byproduct as an alternative to burning virgin trees, saving over 200,000 cubic feet of wood per year, equal to the size of 10 football fields!
- Constructed new schools, community buildings and medical centers for several riverside communities in multiple villages where we work.
- Provided equipment and materials to help a local women’s cooperative increase profits by crafting jewelry from the seeds that are a byproduct of the Açaí production process.
- Worked with partners including the World Wildlife Fund, The Nature Conservancy and Brazilian NGO Peabiru Institute to develop and refine sustainable practices in the Amazon region.
- Become active members of the Organic Trade Association, Co-OpAmerica/Green Business and the Non-GMO Project
And we continue to invest in social and environmental projects that improve the standards for the Amazon River estuary and its inhabitants. We add value to the communities and forest by encouraging environmental stewardship, protect bio-diversity through agro-forestry systems and provide an alternative to logging, cattle, soy, charcoal and monoculture plantations.
Keeping the Positive Vibes Going
Sambazon continues to create global demand for other Amazon Superfoods™ like Acerola Cherry, Guarana and Yerba Mate. This demand has made it more valuable to sustainably harvest the Amazon forest rather than cut it down.
Our organic and sustainably harvested Acerola is sourced in partnership with NutriBotanica, who follows the principles of bio-dynamic agriculture. This philosophy honors the importance of biodiversity by emphasizing the holistic interrelationships of the soil, plants and animals. The result is a self-sustaining system eliminating the need for chemicals, pesticides, over grazing and ultimately a farm that is better in-tune with the rhythm of nature. You can learn more about Acerola, the amazon cherry and NutriBotanica here.
All of our products are Non-GMO, USDA Organic, Ecocert Fair Trade, Vegan, Dairy and Gluten Free. In 2010, Sambazon became a certified B-Corp member solidifying our commitment and holding us accountable to maintaining our triple bottom line approach to business.
Much purple love to you for being a part of the passion, purpose and creativity of Sambazon.
The SAMBAZON Tribe